LA JOLLA, Calif - The No. 13 University of California San Diego women's tennis team has extended its win-streak to six after a 5-4 defeat of Eastern Michigan on Tuesday afternoon at the Northview Courts.
It is the program's longest streak since the 2014-15 season and the best start to a season in at least a decade.
In singles play, Ashley Chao highlighted the top three spots with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Ani Gogvadze at No. 2.
In the four slot, Jasmine Hosseini clinched the match for the Tritons with a 6-1, 0-6, 6-3 win over Maria Paula Ribero. At No. 5, Alexandra Weil also took a victory, defeating Anna Veleva 6-3, 6-3. Valeria Corral rounded out the singles matches with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Alejandra Barcelo Almoyna.
The Tritons saw only one victory in the doubles competition, with the duo of Weil and Madison Hale defeating Veleva and Alejandra Barcelo Almoyna at the No. 3 spot, 8-2.
Marie Mayerova and Andrea Martinovska beat Mosser and Shannon Theisen, 8-2. Ani Gogvadze and Maria Paula Ribero defeated Chao and Chou, 8-5.
With its six-game home stand complete, the Tritons will travel to Cal State LA on Feb. 25 for an 11:00 a.m match against the Golden Eagles.
No. 13 UC San Diego 5, Eastern Michigan 4
February 21, 2017 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Marie Mayerova (EMU) def. Britta Mosser (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Ani Gogvadze (EMU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Andrea Martinovska (EMU) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-0, 7-5
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) def. Maria Paula Ribero (EMU) 6-1, 0-6, 6-3
5. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Anna Veleva (EMU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Alejandra Barcelo Almoyna (EMU) 6-0, 6-3
1. Marie Mayerova/Andrea Martinovska (EMU) def. Britta Mosser/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-2
2. Ani Gogvadze/Maria Paula Ribero (EMU) def. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) 8-5
3. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Anna Veleva/Alejandra Barcelo Almoyna (EMU) 8-6
Eastern Michigan 3-7
UC San Diego 6-0; National ranking #13; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,6,1,3,5,4)