No. 7 Columbus State Edges Out Ninth-Ranked Tritons in Georgia, 5-3
COLUMBUS, Ga. - The No. 9 University of California San Diego women's tennis team saw its six-match win streak snapped Tuesday as it was defeated by No. 7 Columbus State, 5-3.
The Tritons fall to 14-2 and Columbus State improves to 13-2 overall.
The top three singles spots saw one Triton victory at No. 2 where Ashley Chao was deemed the victor after Beatriz Lopez was forced to retire due to injury.
The No. 6 slot had Valeria Corral take a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Olivera Tadijin.
The doubles competition had a Triton win at No. 3, with Weil and Madison Hale beating out Utech and Rachael Williams, 9-7.
At No. 1, Leon and Lopez took an 8-6 victory against Mosser and Shannon Theisen. Chao and Chou fell to Vitale and Tobar at No. 2, 8-3.
The Tritons now head to Florida to face No. 10 Valdosta State in the West Florida Invitational on Thursday, March 30. The match will take place in Pensacola and will begin at 12 p.m. PT.
No. 7 Columbus State 5, No. 9 UC San Diego 3
March 28, 2017 at Columbus, GA (Cooper Creek Tennis Center)
1. Giorgia Vitale (CSU) def. Britta Mosser (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
2. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Beatriz Lopez (CSU) 0-3, retired
3. Kirsa Utech (CSU) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-3, 7-6
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) vs. Camila Tobar (CSU) 3-6, 2-5, unfinished
5. Beatriz Leon (CSU) def. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
6. Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Olivera Tadijin (CSU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Beatriz Leon/Beatriz Lopez (CSU) def. Britta Mosser/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-6
2. Giorgia Vitale/Camila Tobar (CSU) def. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) 8-3
3. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Kirsa Utech/Rachael Williams (CSU) 9-7
Columbus State 13-2; National ranking #7, Regional ranking #2
UC San Diego 14-2; National ranking #9; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,1,6,5,3,4)