No. 9 UC San Diego Dominates Visiting Vulcans of Hawaii-Hilo, 9-0
LA JOLLA, Calif. - The ninth-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team delivered a 9-0 loss to Hawaii-Hilo Monday afternoon at Northview Courts.
With the win, UC San Diego improves to 15-3 while UHH falls to 4-15.
It was all UCSD, as the Tritons started out by sweeping the doubles matches.
At No. 1, Britta Mosser and Shannon Theisen prevailed over Daniela Sanz Caseli and Sara Valero, 8-2. One spot down, Ashley Chao and Becky Chou bested Cheyenne Schula and Napapon Vorasane, 8-0. In the final position, Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil finished Caralyn Fitzpatrick and Kinsey Volkart, 8-2.
All six of UCSD's singles wins came in straight sets.
Mosser, ranked 28th nationally, took a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Sanz Caseli at No.1. At No. 2, Chao defeated Valero in two sets, 6-0, 6-4, while at No. 3, Chou took down Volkart, 6-2 and 6-0. The No. 4 slot saw Weil shut out Schula, 6-0, 6-0. In similar fashion, Valeria Corral handled Carsey at No. 5, beating her 6-0, 6-0. Rounding out the singles matches was Hale, who earned a 6-1, 6-0 win versus Vorasane.
Up next, the Tritons face cross-town rival, No. 19 Point Loma at the PLNU Courts on April 6 at 3 p.m.
#9 UC San Diego 9, Hawaii-Hilo 0
April 3, 2017 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. #28 Britta Mosser (UCSD) def. Daniela Sanz Caseli (UHH) 6-2, 6-1
2. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Sara Valero (UHH) 6-0, 6-4
3. Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Kinsey Volkart (UHH) 6-2, 6-0
4. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Cheyenne Schula (UHH) 6-0, 6-0
5. Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Anne Carsey (UHH) 6-0, 6-0
6. Madison Hale (UCSD) def. Napapon Vorasane (UHH) 6-1, 6-0
1. Britta Mosser/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) def. Daniela Sanz Caseli/Sara Valero (UHH) 8-2
2. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Cheyenne Schula/Napapon Vorasane (UHH) 8-0
3. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Caralyn Fitzpatrick/Kinsey Volkart (UHH) 8-2
UC San Diego 15-3; National ranking #9; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,6,5,3,1,2)