AZUSA, Calif. - The ninth-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team was defeated 5-4 by No. 21 Azusa Pacific Wednesday afternoon at the M and B Tennis Complex.
UC San Diego dropped to 15-5 on the year, while APU improved to 14-7.
The Tritons started off strong by winning two of the three doubles matches.
At No. 2, Ashley Chao and Becky Chou captured an 8-4 victory over Valeriia Kashina and Jackie Resler. In the No. 3 match-up, Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil won 8-3 against Tatiana Betancourt and Kara Hinton.
Of the top three singles slots, Chao took the lone UCSD win with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory against Schneider at No. 2.
At No. 1, 28th-ranked Mosser was taken down by No. 35 Johnson after retiring at the conclusion of two sets. No. 3 saw Chou fall to Kashina, 6-4, 6-0.
At No. 4 Weil fell to Hinton, 7-6, 6-1 and at No. 5 Valeria Corral defeated Resler by scores of 6-4 and 6-2.
With the match score even at 4-4, it all came down to the No. 6 singles match-up between Hale and Betancourt. Hale took the opening set 6-2, but Betancourt was able to win the next two by scores of 6-2 and 7-5 to give Azusa Pacific the victory.
It was the second meeting between the two West Region rivals this season. Back on Feb. 10 in La Jolla, the Tritons defeated the Cougars by a 6-3 count.
UCSD plays its final regular season match Saturday at home against No. 23 Cal State LA at 11 a.m.
#21 Azusa Pacific University 5, #9 UC San Diego 4
April 12, 2017 at Azusa, Calif. (M and B Tennis Complex)
1. #35 Natalie Johnson (APU) def. #28 Britta Mosser (UCSD) 6-1, 5-7, 1-0, retired
2. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Lisa Schneider (APU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Valeriia Kashina (APU) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-4, 6-0
4. Kara Hinton (APU) def. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 7-6 (7-0), 6-1
5. Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Jackie Resler (APU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Tatiana Betancourt (APU) def. Madison Hale (UCSD) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
1. Natalie Johnson/Lisa Schneider (APU) def. Britta Mosser/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) 8-2
2. Becky Chou/Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Valeriia Kashina/Jackie Resler (APU) 8-4
3. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Tatiana Betancourt/Kara Hinton (APU) 8-3
UC San Diego 15-5; National ranking #9; Regional ranking #3
Azusa Pacific University 14-7; National ranking #21; Regional ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,4,5,1,2,6)