SAN DIEGO - Despite winning the doubles point, the University of California San Diego women's tennis team fell to San Diego State, 5-2, Saturday afternoon in an exhibition match at the Aztec Tennis Center.
UC San Diego started strong, winning two of three doubles match-ups. The Tritons earned their first point of the contest when freshman Shuchen Lin and junior Chloe Wight paired to defeat Magda Aubets and Nnena Nadozie, 6-3, in the No. 3 spot. UCSD clinched the doubles point as juniors Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil topped Jennifer Moinard and Mia Smith by a score of 6-4 at No. 2.
Weil continued her solid play by earning a singles victory as well, dispatching Paola Diaz de Regules in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-3, at No. 3.
However, the Aztecs took the other five singles tilts to secure the victory.
UC San Diego, ranked ninth in the first NCAA Division II national poll of the season, opens its regular season on Feb. 3 at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
San Diego State 5, #9 UC San Diego 2 (exhibition)
Jan. 27, 2018 at San Diego, CA (Aztec Tennis Center)
1. Jana Buth (SDSU) def. Ashley Chao (UCSD) 6-0, 7-6 (4-0)
2. Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
3. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Paola Diaz de Regules (SDSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Jennifer Moinard (SDSU) def. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
5. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Valeria Corral (UCSD) 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
6. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) def. Madison Hale (UCSD) 6-0, 6-1
1. Jana Buth/Paola Diaz de Regules (SDSU) def. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-3
2. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Jennifer Moinard/Mia Smith (SDSU) 6-4
3. Shuchen Lin/Chloe Wight (UCSD) def. Magda Aubets/Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,2,1,4,3,5)