KONA, Hawai'i - The ninth-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team cruised to a 7-2 victory against West Region rival Hawai'i Hilo Friday at the Holua Tennis Center on the Big Island.
UC San Diego, which improved to 2-3 on the season, won five of six singles matches and two of three doubles contests.
All of the Tritons' singles victories came in straight sets.
At No. 1, junior Ashley Chao (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS) defeated Daniela Sanz by scores of 6-3 and 6-2.
Junior Alexandra Weil won at No. 3, senior Jasmine Hosseini came out on top at No. 4, sophomore Valeria Corral (San Diego/Mater Dei Catholic HS) was a winner at No. 5, and junior Jessica Cramer earned her first collegiate victory at No. 6. Corral, ranked 40th nationally in singles play, didn't lose a game, shutting out her opponent 6-0 and 6-0.
At the top of the doubles ladder, Chao and Chou defeated Sanz and Devanshi Bhimjiyani, 8-4. At No. 2, Weil and junior Madison Hale blanked Marina Colvee Debrot and Carmelle Joyner, 8-0.
It was the second-straight win for the Tritons. The Vulcans fell to 1-1 with the loss.
UC San Diego takes on Chaminade on Feb. 17 in Kona.
#9 UC San Diego 7, Hawai'i Hilo 2
Feb. 16, 2018 at Kona, HI (Holua Tennis Center)
1. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Daniela Sanz (UHH) 6-3, 6-2
2. Devanshi Bhimjiyani (UHH) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-0, 6-1
3. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Marina Colvee Debrot (UHH) 6-2, 6-0
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) def. Sara Marin (UHH) 6-1, 6-0
5. #40 Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Carmelle Joyner (UHH) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jessica Cramer (UCSD) def. Irena Le (UHH) 6-4, 6-2
1. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Devanshi Bhimjiyani/Daniela Sanz (UHH) 8-4
2. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Marina Colvee Debrot/Carmelle Joyner (UHH) 8-0
3. Irena Le/Sara Marin (UHH) def. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) 8-6
UC San Diego 2-3; National ranking #9; Regional ranking #3
Hawaii Hilo 1-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,1,3,4,6)