LA JOLLA, Calif. - The University of California San Diego women's tennis team, ranked 14th nationally, suffered a 4-0 defeat against NCAA Division I opponent Furman Tuesday at Northview Courts.
UC San Diego fell to 7-5 as it saw its four-match win streak come to an end. Furman improved to 7-7 on the season.
The Paladins swept the doubles matches to win the point and take a 1-0 lead.
At No. 1, Ashley Chao (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS) and Becky Chou were downed by Danni Vines and Katty Weymouth, 6-3. Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil lost by the same score at No. 2, as did Nousha Nowamooz and Chloe Wight at No. 3.
The first three singles matches to finish went to Furman.
At the top of the ladder, Katarina Kozarov defeated Chao, 6-0, 6-1. At No. 5, Georgie Walker topped Hale, 6-3, 6-1. The Paladins clinched the match victory when Weymouth won against Chou at No. 2 by scores of 7-6 (7-2), 6-0.
After the fourth and deciding point was won, the remaining three singles matches were left unfinished.
The Tritons host a tough West Region opponent in fourth-ranked Hawai'i Pacific on Friday, March 9, at 2 p.m. Admission is free.
Furman 4, #14 UC San Diego 0
March 6, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Katarina Kozarov (FUR) def. Ashley Chao (UCSD) 6-0, 6-1
2. Katty Weymouth (FUR) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
3. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) vs. Danni Vines (FUR) 6-4, 3-3, unfinished
4. #40 Valeria Corral (UCSD) vs. Carol Eliz. Kerman (FUR) 4-6, 5-5, unfinished
5. Georgie Walker (FUR) def. Madison Hale (UCSD) 6-3, 6-1
6. Chloe Wight (UCSD) vs. Gabby Rodriguez (FUR) 6-3, 2-4, unfinished
1. Danni Vines/Katty Weymouth (FUR) def. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-3
2. Katarina Kozarov/Gabby Rodriguez (FUR) def. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 6-3
3. Carol Eliz. Kerman/Georgie Walker (FUR) def. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) 6-3
UC San Diego 7-5; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,5,2)