No. 14 UC San Diego Upsets No. 4 Hawai'i Pacific, 5-4
LA JOLLA, Calif. - In a West Region upset Friday, the 14th-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team defeated No. 4 Hawai'i Pacific, 5-4, at Northview Courts.
UC San Diego improved to 8-5 on the season with the victory. It was the first loss for HPU, which dropped to 7-1. The Sharks are the top-ranked squad in the West Region, while the Tritons are third.
UCSD was up 2-1 following doubles play. At No. 1, Ashley Chao (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS) and Becky Chou defeated Oceane Adam and Lena Lutzeier, 8-4. Nousha Nowamooz and Chloe Wight were winners against Debora Echeverria and Leticia Gonzalez dos Santos at No. 3.
The first two singles matches to finish were HPU wins, giving the Sharks a 3-2 lead. However, UC San Diego rallied and won the next three to clinch the big win.
Wight cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 victory against Gonzalez dos Santos at No. 6 to start the run. Alexandra Weil then won at No. 3, downing Adam, ranked 21st nationally, by scores of 7-5 and 6-2. Next up was Jasmine Hosseini at No. 4. Her 6-1, 6-4 dispatching of Echeverria gave the Tritons the deciding fifth point.
UC San Diego faces another top-ranked opponent on Sunday, March 11, when it hosts No. 5 West Florida at 1 p.m. Admission is free.
#14 UC San Diego 5, #4 Hawai'i Pacific 4
March 9, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. #9 Lena Lutzeier (HPU) def. Ashley Chao (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
2. #10 Lara Meccico (HPU) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-1, 6-2
3. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. #21 Oceane Adam (HPU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) def. Debora Echeverria (HPU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Barbora Kijasova (HPU) def. #40 Valeria Corral (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
6. Chloe Wight (UCSD) def. Leticia Gonzalez dos Santos (HPU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Oceane Adam/Lena Lutzeier (HPU) 8-4
2. #11 Barbora Kijasova/Lara Meccico (HPU) def. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 8-4
3. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) def. Debora Echeverria/Leticia Gonzalez dos Santos (HPU) 8-7 (7-4)
Hawaii Pacific 7-1; National ranking #4; Regional ranking #1
UC San Diego 8-5; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,1,6,3,4,5)
Official: Eric Mann