LA JOLLA, Calif. - Northview Courts hosted a Thursday thriller as the 14th-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team was edged, 4-3, by NCAA Division I opponent Colorado State.
With the match tied 3-3, it came down to an epic battle between UCSD's Chloe Wight and CSU's Emma Corwin in the fifth singles spot. Corwin won the first set, 6-4, but Wight evened it up by taking the second, 6-3. The third and deciding set went to a tiebreaker when the two players were knotted at 6-6. Tied yet again at 11-11, Corwin scored two straight points to win 13-11, giving the Rams the victory.
The Tritons held a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point. At No. 3, Wight and Nousha Nowamooz defeated Corwin and Solene Crawley, 6-1, which was followed by Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil topping Emily Kolbow and Emily Luetschwager, 6-2, at No. 2.
UC San Diego went up 2-0 when Hale cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Crawley at No. 6.
Colorado State took a 3-2 lead by winning the next three singles matches that came off. Two of the three went to three sets.
Ashley Chao (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS) then won a hard-fought contest at No. 1 to bring the Tritons even with the Rams. She beat Priscilla Palermo in three sets by scores of 7-6 (7-3), 2-6, 6-3.
UCSD fell to 8-7 with the loss, while Colorado State improved to 9-5.
UC San Diego is off until March 26 when it hosts Williams College (11 a.m.).
Colorado State 4, #14 UC San Diego 3
March 15, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. Priscilla Palermo (CSU) 7-6 (7-3), 2-6, 6-3
2. Emily Luetschwager (CSU) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-0, 6-3
3. Alyssa Grijalva (CSU) def. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 0-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Emily Kolbow (CSU) def. #40 Valeria Corral (UCSD) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
5. Emma Corwin (CSU) def. Chloe Wight (UCSD) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (13-11)
6. Madison Hale (UCSD) def. Solene Crawley (CSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Alyssa Grijalva/Priscilla Palermo (CSU) def. Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-4
2. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Emily Kolbow/Emily Luetschwager (CSU) 6-2
3. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) def. Emma Corwin/Solene Crawley (CSU) 6-1
Colorado State 9-5
UC San Diego 8-7; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,3,4,1,5)