LA JOLLA, Calif. - Taking on its sixth NCAA Division I opponent of the season, the fifth-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team was shutout, 5-0, by San José State Tuesday at Northview Courts.
UC San Diego dipped to 8-9 on the season, while San José State improved to 10-4.
The Spartans swept all three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead.
The Spartans then won four-straight singles contests to clinch the match victory. All of them came in straight sets.
At No. 1, 24th-ranked Chao was downed by Gauvain, 6-2, 6-0.
San José State also took singles wins at No. 3, No. 5, and No. 6.
Tuesday's contest closed out an eight-match home stand for the Tritons.
UC San Diego plays at Stanislaus State on March 29 and at Sonoma State on March 30.
San Jose State 5, #5 UC San Diego 0
March 27, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) def. #24 Ashley Chao (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
2. Becky Chou (UCSD) vs. Tamara Culibrk (SJSU) 3-6, 7-5, unfinished
3. Miyo Kobayashi (SJSU) def. #23 Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) vs. Jackie Wagner (SJSU) 6-6 (5-5), unfinished
5. Laura Malsert (SJSU) def. Valeria Corral (UCSD) 6-3, 6-3
6. Savannah Sendar (SJSU) def. Chloe Wight (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
1. Sybille Gauvain/Savannah Sendar (SJSU) def. #27 Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-3
2. Miyo Kobayashi/Laura Malsert (SJSU) def. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 6-2
3. Tamara Culibrk/Clara Mantaux (SJSU) def. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) 6-3
San Jose State 10-4
UC San Diego 8-9; National ranking #5; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,5,6)