Tritons Dominate On the Road at Stanislaus State
TURLOCK, Calif. - In its first road match in over a month, the 12th-ranked University of California San Diego women's tennis team dominated West Region opponent Stanislaus State Thursday afternoon, sweeping by a 9-0 score.
UC San Diego improved to 9-9 overall, while Stan State fell to 6-10.
The Triton pair of Ashley Chao (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS) and Becky Chou, ranked 33rd nationally in doubles, defeated Cassidy Ferrell and Kayla Nguyen, 8-7 (7-5), at the No. 1 spot. The duo is 11-7 when playing together this year.
UCSD led 3-0 after doubles as Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil were winners at No. 2 and Nousha Nowamooz and Chloe Wight were victorious in the third slot.
The Tritons won all six singles contests in straight sets.
Playing in the No. 1 spot for singles as well, 28th-ranked Chao dispatched No. 39 Ferrell by scores of 7-5 and 7-5. It was the 11th win for the junior, the most on the team.
Also earning wins were Chou at No. 2, 45th-ranked Weil at No. 3, Jasmine Hosseini at No. 4, Valeria Corral (San Diego/Mater Dei Catholic HS) at No. 5, and Wight at No. 6. Hosseini, who improved to 10-2 on the season, lost just a single game, winning 6-0, 6-1.
The Tritons are ranked third in the West Region, while the Warriors are 10th.
UC San Diego faces another regional opponent Friday as it plays at Sonoma State (12 p.m.). The Seawolves (13-5) are ranked fifth in the West.
#12 UC San Diego 9, Stanislaus State 0
March 29, 2018 at Turlock, CA (Stan State Tennis Courts)
1. #28 Ashley Chao (UCSD) def. #39 Cassidy Ferrell (STAN) 7-5, 7-5
2. Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Kayla Nguyen (STAN) 6-3, 6-1
3. #45 Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Megan Hagerty (STAN) 6-2, 6-1
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) def. Miliaana Proft (STAN) 6-0, 6-1
5. Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Ebone Qualls (STAN) 6-3, 6-4
6. Chloe Wight (UCSD) def. Taylor Galya (STAN) 6-2, 6-2
1. #33 Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) def. Cassidy Ferrell/Kayla Nguyen (STAN) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Madison Hale/Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Taylor Galya/Megan Hagerty (STAN) 8-6
3. Nousha Nowamooz/Chloe Wight (UCSD) def. Miliaana Proft/Ebone Qualls (STAN) 8-4
UC San Diego 9-9; National ranking #12; Regional ranking #3
Stanislaus State 6-10; Regional ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,4,2,6,5,1)