HONOLULU - The season came to an end Saturday for the University of California San Diego women's tennis team as it was defeated, 5-1, by Hawai'i Pacific in an NCAA Division II West Regional match on Oahu.
UC San Diego, ranked 19th nationally and the West Region's fourth seed, concluded its 2017-18 campaign at 13-11. HPU, the country's second-ranked squad and the region's top seed, improved to 19-2.
The Sharks led 2-1 following the doubles portion of the match.
At No. 1, the Triton duo of Ashley Chao (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS) and Becky Chou, ranked 42nd, were defeated by No. 15 Lena Lutzeier and Oceane Adam, 8-1. Alexandra Weil and Madison Hale then dropped a close 9-8 decision against 45th-ranked Lara Meccico and Barbora Kijasova at No. 2. With the Sharks leading 2-0, UC San Diego got on the board when Chloe Wight and Nousha Nowamooz won a hard-fought 9-8 battle against Debora Echeverria and Leticia dos Santos at No. 3.
The top three singles spots were filled with nationally-ranked players. Hawai'i Pacific was victorious in all three.
Lutzeier, the No. 1-ranked singles player in the country, defeated No. 22 Chao in straight sets, 6-1 and 6-2, in the top match-up. Next, third-ranked Meccico took down No. 14 Chou, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 2. HPU clinched the match victory when Adam, ranked 34th, dispatched No. 37 Weil by scores of 6-3 and 7-6 at No. 3.
It was the third time this season that the two teams had faced off. Hawai'i Pacific won, 7-0, on Feb. 18 in Hawai'i, while UC San Diego earned a 5-4 victory in La Jolla on March 9.
In Saturday's second West Regional match, Academy of Art defeated Azusa Pacific, 5-3. The Sharks and Urban Knights advance to the NCAA Championships Round of 16, which runs May 8-11 in Surprise, Ariz.
#2 Hawai'i Pacific 5, #19 UC San Diego 1
April 28, 2018 at Honolulu, HI (University of Hawai'i Tennis Complex)
1. #1 Lena Lutzeier (HPU) def. #22 Ashley Chao (UCSD) 6-1, 6-2
2. #3 Lara Meccico (HPU) def. #14 Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-2, 6-0
3. #34 Oceane Adam (HPU) def. #37 Alexandra Weil (UCSD) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Debora Echeverria (HPU) vs. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) 7-5, 4-2, unfinished
5. Leticia dos Santos (HPU) vs. Valeria Corral (UCSD) 1-6, 2-5, unfinished
6. Barbora Kijasova (HPU) vs. Chloe Wight (UCSD) 3-6, 4-5, unfinished
1. #15 Lena Lutzeier/Oceane Adam (HPU) def. #42 Ashley Chao/Becky Chou (UCSD) 8-1
2. #45 Lara Meccico/Barbora Kijasova (HPU) def. Alexandra Weil/Madison Hale (UCSD) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Chloe Wight/Nousha Nowamooz (UCSD) def. Debora Echeverria/Leticia dos Santos (HPU) 9-8 (7-1)
UC San Diego 13-11; National ranking #19; Regional ranking #4
Hawai'i Pacific 19-2; National ranking #2; Regional ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3)
NCAA Division II West Regional 1
HPU is West #1 Seed, UCSD is West #4 Seed
Official: William Liston T-3:46 A-103