Return Home Brings Victory For No. 12 UCSD, 6-3 Over Hawaii-Hilo
LA JOLLA, Calif. - The No. 12 University of California San Diego men's tennis team took a 6-3 victory against No. 40 Hawaii-Hilo Sunday afternoon at Northview Courts.
The Tritons improve to 9-9 on the year while Hawaii-Hilo drops to 9-11.
At No. 1 singles, 49th-ranked Eric Tseng dropped a tight decision, losing 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (13-11) to No. 29 Vaclav Slezak.
In the fourth spot, the Tritons earned another victory when Marc Isaia took down Stefan Coney 6-3, 6-1.
In doubles competition, Sreeganesh Manoharan and Miaule captured an 8-1 victory against Coney and Slezak at No. 1.
Isaia and Larsson were defeated at No. 2 by Figlia and Perez in a close match, 9-8 (8-6). Finishing out the doubles matches, Amaral and Zhang posted an 8-4 win against Daniel Tada and Zukeran.
It was UCSD's first home match since returning from a three-contest road trip to Florida.
Up next, UC San Diego will take a short trip across town and face Point Loma on Friday, April 7 at 3 p.m.
#12 UC San Diego 6, #40 Hawaii-Hilo 3
April 2, 2017 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Courts)
1. #29 Vaclav Slezak (UHH) def. #49 Eric Tseng (UCSD) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (13-11)
2. #34 Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. Alex Fillat Perez (UHH) 6-4, 6-3
3. Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Gregory Zukeran (UHH) 6-0, 6-2
4. Marc Isaia (UCSD) def. Stefan Coney (UHH) 6-3, 6-1
5. Bruno Figlia (UHH) def. Edvin Larsson (UCSD) 6-4, 6-3
6. Rodrigo Amaral (UCSD) def. Ryuta Ogawa (UHH) 6-2, 6-0
1. Sreeganesh Manoharan/Alexandre Miaule (UCSD) def. Stefan Coney/Vaclav Slezak (UHH) 8-1
2. Bruno Figlia/Alex Fillat Perez (UHH) def. Marc Isaia/Edvin Larsson (UCSD) 9-8 (8-6)
3. Rodrigo Amaral/Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Daniel Tada/Gregory Zukeran (UHH) 8-4
Hawaii-Hilo 9-11; National ranking #40; Regional ranking #6
UC San Diego 9-9; National ranking #12; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,6,4,2,5,1)