LA JOLLA, Calif. - The University of California San Diego men's tennis team fell short in a competitive match against No. 12 Azusa Pacific, 6-3, Friday evening at Northview Tennis Courts.
UC San Diego (9-7) dropped two of three doubles matches to begin the day and four of six singles contests to finish the match. The Tritons' No. 2 doubles team of seniors Eric Tseng and Justin Zhang, in what was likely their final home appearance, earned an 8-3 victory. Zhang and freshman Eskil Jarlskog won their singles matches in the No. 2 and No. 4 slots, respectively.
UC San Diego wraps up the 2018 regular season at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, ranked No. 6 nationally in the NCAA Division III, on Saturday, April 21, at 3 p.m.
#12 Azusa Pacific 6, UC San Diego 3
April 13, 2018 at La Jolla, CA (Northview Tennis Courts)
1. #3 Oliver Frank (APU) def. Eric Tseng (UCSD) 6-3, 6-1
2. Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. #36 Christian Schmid (APU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. #40 Jakob Schnaitter (APU) def. Marc Isaia (UCSD) 6-4, 7-5
4. Eskil Jarlskog (UCSD) def. Ronald Kang (APU) 6-4, 6-7 (6-8), 10-5
5. Ryan Nuno (APU) def. Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 10-7
6. Antonio Pejic (APU) def. Richard Han (UCSD) 6-4, 6-1
1. Jakob Schnaitter/Oliver Frank (APUM) def. Marc Isaia/Sreeganesh Manoharan (UCSD) 8-3
2. Eric Tseng/Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Ryan Nuno/Jesse Haas (APUM) 8-3
3. Antonio Pejic/Christian Schmid (APUM) def. Eskil Jarlskog/Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) 8-6
Azusa Pacific 21-2; National ranking #12; Regional ranking #1
UC San Diego 9-7; Regional ranking #3